We have shown that the widely accepted and validated CT features for a radiologic usual interstitial pneumonia (UIP) pattern used to make a diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis can be used to identify UIP pattern in patients with rheumatoid arthritis–associated interstitial lung disease with a high degree of confidence.
To determine the accuracy of computed tomography (CT) in identifying the histopathologic usual interstitial pneumonia (UIP) pattern in rheumatoid arthritis–associated interstitial lung disease (RA-ILD).
Materials and Methods
All patients were enrolled into institutional review board-approved longitudinal cohorts at their respective institution, and informed consent was obtained at the time of enrollment. Images of patients with surgical lung biopsy-proved RA-ILD (n = 69) were collected from three tertiary care centers. Two experienced thoracic radiologists independently reviewed the CT scans. The CT pattern was categorized as definite UIP, possible UIP, or inconsistent with UIP in accordance with published criteria. Findings of biopsies were reviewed by an experienced lung pathologist. The sensitivity and specificity of definite CT UIP pattern to histopathologic UIP pattern were determined. The agreement between radiologists was assessed by calculating a κ score.
The histopathologic UIP pattern was present in 42 of 69 (61%) patients. Men were more likely than women to have a histopathologic UIP pattern (P = .02). Twenty patients (29%, 20 of 69) had a definite UIP pattern on CT scans. The specificity of CT UIP pattern was 96% (26 of 27; 95% confidence interval [CI]: 81%, 100%), with a negative predictive value of 53% (26 of 49). The sensitivity of CT UIP pattern was 45% (19 of 42; 95% CI: 30%, 61%), with a positive predictive value of 95% (19 of 20). The agreement between radiologists for definite UIP pattern versus not was 87% (κ = 0.67, P < .0001).
Definite UIP pattern on a CT scan in RA-ILD is highly specific and moderately sensitive for histopathologic UIP pattern. CT can therefore help accurately identify the UIP pattern in RA-ILD.
© RSNA, 2013
- 1. . The epidemiology of rheumatoid arthritis. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2001;27(2):269–281. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 2. . Rheumatoid lung disease. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2007;4(5):443–448. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 3. . Histopathologic pattern and clinical features of rheumatoid arthritis-associated interstitial lung disease. Chest 2005;127(6):2019–2027. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 4. . Nonspecific interstitial pneumonia pattern as pulmonary involvement of rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatol Int 2005;26(2):121–125. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 5. . Rheumatoid arthritis-related lung diseases: CT findings. Radiology 2004;232(1):81–91. Link, Google Scholar
- 6. . Rheumatoid arthritis-associated interstitial lung disease: the relevance of histopathologic and radiographic pattern. Chest 2009;136(5):1397–1405. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 7. . Acute exacerbation of interstitial pneumonia other than idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Chest 2007;132(1):214–220. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 8. . Lung disease in rheumatoid arthritis. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2008;20(3):340–346. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 9. . Usual interstitial pneumonia in rheumatoid arthritis-associated interstitial lung disease. Eur Respir J 2010;35(6):1322–1328. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 10. . Thin-section CT findings in rheumatoid arthritis-associated lung disease: CT patterns and their courses. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1999;23(6):941–948. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 11. . Lung diseases directly associated with rheumatoid arthritis and their relationship to outcome. Eur Respir J 2011;37(6):1411–1417. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 12. . Rheumatoid lung disease: prognostic analysis of 54 biopsy-proven cases. Respir Med 2012;106(8):1164–1169. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 13. . Thoracic surgical procedures in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol 2004;31(11):2136–2141. Medline, Google Scholar
- 14. . An official ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT statement: idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis—evidence-based guidelines for diagnosis and management. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011;183(6):788–824. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 15. . The accuracy of the clinical diagnosis of new-onset idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and other interstitial lung disease: a prospective study. Chest 1999;116(5):1168–1174. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 16. . Utility of a lung biopsy for the diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001;164(2):193–196. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 17. . The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1988;31(3):315–324. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 18. . American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society International Multidisciplinary Consensus Classification of the Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias. This joint statement of the American Thoracic Society (ATS), and the European Respiratory Society (ERS) was adopted by the ATS board of directors, June 2001 and by the ERS Executive Committee, June 2001. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;165(2):277–304. [Published correction appears in Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;166(3):426.] Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 19. . Radiological versus histological diagnosis in UIP and NSIP: survival implications. Thorax 2003;58(2):143–148. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 20. . Diagnostic accuracy of computed tomography and histopathology in the diagnosis of usual interstitial pneumonia. Acta Radiol 2012;53(3):296–302. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 21. . Multidisciplinary interobserver agreement in the diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Eur Respir J 2008;31(3):585–591. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 22. . Inter-observer variation between pathologists in diffuse parenchymal lung disease. Thorax 2004;59(6):500–505. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
Article HistoryReceived January 30, 2013; revision requested March 28; revision received May 20; accepted June 14; final version accepted August 7.
Published online: Feb 2014
Published in print: Feb 2014