Pulmonary Nodules: Preliminary Experience with Three-dimensional Evaluation

PURPOSE: To evaluate software designed to calculate pulmonary nodule volume in three dimensions.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: Fifty-four solid noncalcified pulmonary nodules measuring 5–18 mm in diameter were studied with computed tomographic (CT) volumetric software. Baseline CT examinations were performed for various indications by using four–detector row multisection CT units, 1.25- or 2.50-mm sections, and a standard reconstruction algorithm. The percentage of successful nodule segmentations, as well as intraobserver variability, interreader agreement, and global repeatability of calculated volumes, was determined on the basis of consecutive measurements performed three times by three different radiologists by using the Bland and Altman method. The software was used to calculate the doubling time of 22 nodules for which a final diagnosis and comparable CT scans were available.

RESULTS: Fifty-two (96%) of the 54 nodules were successfully segmented, allowing their volume to be calculated. Repeatability was high: There was no variation in the nine measurements of 35 (67%) of the 52 nodules. The coefficient of variation for the remaining 17 nodules (33%) was 2.26%. Bland and Altman 95% limits of acceptability, calculated on the basis of log-transformed data, yielded a maximum software measurement error of 6.38% of the previous volume measurement. Doubling time ranged from 4 to 188 years for the 13 benign nodules and from 37 to 216 days for the nine malignant nodules.

CONCLUSION: Software volumetric analysis yielded repeatable estimates for 96% of the nodules examined. All software-calculated doubling times were in keeping with the benign or malignant nature of the nodules.

© RSNA, 2004


  • 1 Henschke CI, McCauley DI, Yankelevitz DF, et al. Early Lung Cancer Action Project: overall design and findings from baseline screening. Lancet 1999; 354:99-105. Crossref, MedlineGoogle Scholar
  • 2 Swensen SJ, Jett JR, Sloan JA, et al. Screening for lung cancer with low-dose spiral computed tomography. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002; 165:508-513. Crossref, MedlineGoogle Scholar
  • 3 Boring CC, Squires TS, Tong T. Cancer statistics, 1993. CA Cancer J Clin 1993; 43:7-26. Crossref, MedlineGoogle Scholar
  • 4 Coleman RE, Laymon CE, Turkington TG. FDG imaging of lung nodules: a phantom study comparing SPECT, camera-based PET, and dedicated PET. Radiology 1999; 210:823-828. LinkGoogle Scholar
  • 5 Swensen SJ, Viggiano RW, Midthun DE, et al. Lung nodule enhancement at CT: multicenter study. Radiology 2000; 214:73-80. LinkGoogle Scholar
  • 6 Li H, Boiselle PM, Shepard JO, Trotman-Dickenson B, McLoud TC. Diagnostic accuracy and safety of CT-guided percutaneous needle aspiration biopsy of the lung: comparison of small and large pulmonary nodules. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1996; 167:105-109. Crossref, MedlineGoogle Scholar
  • 7 Yankelevitz DF, Reeves AP, Kostis WJ, Zhao B, Henschke CI. Small pulmonary nodules: volumetrically determined growth rates based on CT evaluation. Radiology 2000; 217:251-256. LinkGoogle Scholar
  • 8 Halligan S. Reproducibility, repeatability, correlation and measurement error. Br J Radiol 2002; 75:193-194; discussion, 194– 195. Crossref, MedlineGoogle Scholar
  • 9 Bland JM, Altman DG. Measurement error proportional to the mean. BMJ 1996; 313:106. Crossref, MedlineGoogle Scholar
  • 10 Bland JM, Altman DG. Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement. Lancet 1986; 1:307-310. Crossref, MedlineGoogle Scholar
  • 11 Yankelevitz DF, Gupta R, Zhao B, Henschke CI. Small pulmonary nodules: evaluation with repeat CT—preliminary experience. Radiology 1999; 212:561-566. LinkGoogle Scholar
  • 12 Winer-Muram HT, Jennings SG, Tarver RD, et al. Volumetric growth rate of stage I lung cancer prior to treatment: serial CT scanning. Radiology 2002; 223:798-805. LinkGoogle Scholar
  • 13 Henschke CI, Yankelevitz DF, Mirtcheva R, McGuiness G, McCauley D, Miettinien OS. CT screening for lung cancer: frequency and significance of part-solid and nonsolid nodules. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2002; 178:1053-1057. Crossref, MedlineGoogle Scholar

Article History

Published in print: May 2004