PURPOSE: To develop a rabbit model of an intracranial bifurcation aneurysm to test new endovascular therapies.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: An experimental aneurysm model was created in rabbits by means of endovascular balloon occlusion of the left common carotid artery, which created an aneurysm at the bifurcation formed by the aortic arch and the brachiocephalic trunk. A total of 18 aneurysms were created. In eight rabbits, the aneurysms were incubated with intraluminal elastase to induce degeneration of the elastic laminae. The animals were followed up with angiography for as long as 3 months. The animals were sacrificed at various times, and histologic evaluation of the aneurysm was performed.
RESULTS: Ten aneurysms created without elastase infusion were all very small or completely closed at 1–3 months. Six aneurysms created with elastase infusion had long-term patency (two were patent at 1 month and four, at 3 months). The elastase aneurysms had a mean width of 3 mm (range, 2–3.5 mm) and a mean length of 5 mm (range, 3–7 mm). Histologic evaluation revealed destruction of the normal elastin layers, which allowed the artery to become aneurysmal.
CONCLUSION: This aneurysm model re-created the hemodynamic forces and size of human cerebral bifurcation aneurysms and maintained the integrity of the endothelium. The creation of the aneurysms was rapid, reliable, and reproducible.
- 1 Guglielmi G, Vinuela F, Spetka I, Macellari V. Electrothrombosis of saccular aneurysms via endovascular approach. I. Electrochemical basis, technique, and experimental results. J Neurosurg 1991; 75:1-7. Google Scholar
- 2 Angell-James JE. Variations in the vasculature of the aortic arch and its major branches in the rabbit. Acta Anat (Basel) 1974; 87:283-300. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 3 Anidjar S, Salzmann JL, Gentric D, Lagneau P, Camilleri JP, Michel JB. Elastase-induced experimental aneurysms in rats. Circulation 1990; 82:973-981. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 4 Cawley CM, Dawson RC, Shengelaia G, Bonner G, Barrow DL, Colohan ART. Arterial saccular aneurysm model the rabbit. AJNR 1996; 17:1761-1766. Medline, Google Scholar
- 5 Abruzzo T, Shengelaia GG, Dawson RC, Owens DS, Cawley CM, Gravanis MB. Histologic and morphologic comparison of experimental aneurysms with human intracranial aneurysms. AJNR 1998; 19:1309-1314. Medline, Google Scholar
- 6 Massoud TF, Guglielmi G, Vinuela F, Duckwiler GR. Experimental saccular aneurysms. I. Review of surgically-constructed models and their laboratory applications. Neuroradiology 1994; 36:537-546. Google Scholar
- 7 Massoud TF, Ji C, Guglielmi G, Vinuela F, Robert J. Experimental models of bifurcation and terminal aneurysms: construction techniques in swine. AJNR 1994; 15:938-944. Medline, Google Scholar
- 8 Kwan ESK, Heilman CB, Shucart WA, Klucznik RP. Enlargement of basilar artery aneurysms following balloon occlusion, “water-hammer effect”: a report of 2 cases. J Neurosurg 1991; 75:963-968. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 9 Roach MR. A model study of why some intracranial aneurysms thrombose but others rupture. Stroke 1978; 9:583-587. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 10 Boyce TT, Roach MR. The canine tail artery as a model for cerebral aneurysm studies. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 1989; 67:34-39. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 11 Chavis TD, Wakhloo AK, Szikora I, Standard SC, Guterman LR, Hopkins LN. Evaluation of experimental carotid lateral wall aneurysm model in swine. ; Presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Neuroradiology, Nashville, Tenn, May, 1994.. Google Scholar
- 12 Mawad ME, Mawad JK, Cartwright J, Gokasian Z. Long-term histopathological changes in canine aneurysms embolized with Guglielmi detachable coils. AJNR 1995; 16:7-13. Medline, Google Scholar
- 13 Szikora I, Wakhloo AK, Guterman LR, et al. Initial experience with collagen-filled Guglielmi detachable coils for endovascular treatment of experimental aneurysms. AJNR 1997; 18:667-672. Medline, Google Scholar
- 14 Tenjin H, Fushiki S, Nakahara Y, et al. Effect of Guglielmi detachable coils on experimental carotid artery aneurysms in primates. Stroke 1995; 26:2075-2080. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 15 Reul J, Weis J, Spetzger U, Konert T, Fricke C, Thron A. Long-term angiographic and histopathologic findings in experimental aneurysms of the carotid bifurcation embolized with platinum and tungsten coils. AJNR 1997; 18:35-42. Medline, Google Scholar
- 16 Molyneux AJ, Ellison DW, Morris J, Byrne JV. Histological findings in giant aneurysms treated with Guglielmi detachable coils. J Neurosurg 1995; 83:129-132. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 17 Murayama Y, Vinuela F, Suzuki Y, et al. Ion implantation and protein coating of detachable coils for endovascular treatment of cerebral aneurysms: concepts and preliminary results in swine models. Neurosurgery 1997; 40:1233-1243. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 18 Dawson RC, Shengelaia GG, Krisht AF, Bonner GD. Histologic effects of collagen-filled interlocking detachable coils in the ablation of experimental aneurysms in swine. AJNR 1996; 17:853-858. Medline, Google Scholar
- 19 Dawson RC, Krisht AF, Barrow DL, Joseph GJ, Shengelaia GG, Bonner GD. Treatment of experimental aneurysms using collagen-coated microcoils. Neurosurgery 1995; 36:133-140. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 20 Graves VB, Partington CR, Rufenacht DA, Rappe AH, Strother CM. Treatment of carotid artery aneurysms with platinum coils: an experimental study in dogs. AJNR 1990; 11:249-252. Medline, Google Scholar
- 21 Rigamonti D, Saleh J, Liu AMC, Hsu FPK, Mergner WJ, Humphrey JD. Dolichoectatic aneurysm of common carotid artery: an animal model with histological correlation. Pathobiology 1994; 62:8-13. Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar
- 22 Manning PJ, Ringler DH, Newcomer CE. The biology of the laboratory rabbit 2nd ed. San Diego, Calif: Academic Press, 1994; 471. Google Scholar